Skip to main content

Friendship, true and otherwise.

Today I went through the first stage of two surgeries to have cataracts removed and the lenses replaced. It's a common procedure, with most if not all patients experiencing a dramatic improvement in their vision, along with a very low complication rate. Despite that I had a lot of anxiety coming into this. Not about the procedure itself, but how well I would see afterwards. Would I be able to read a computer's monitor screen well enough to still write code? Could I find and hold on a target well enough to make those tiny groups of holes I pride myself on?


Being a believer in not internalizing stress, I wrote to a number of friends, mentioning the surgery, the fact I was somewhat worried about it, and throwing a joke or two around as levity - I tend to use humor to counter stressful situations.

One reply I received shocked me with the words "shut up" and "stop whining". I certainly had not been whining about eye surgery. Given the number of times this person had reported the passing of friends and colleagues I would have never expected such a callous response. My reply took a while to craft. I wanted to refute that accusation and even admonish him for saying it, but eventually settled on a terse "message noted".

Meanwhile that name was moved out of the "friend" category to "someone I once knew". Regardless of the initial note's contents, the reply lacked compassion. People that won't share by listening to another's troubles, offering a shoulder to lean on during trying times, or sending a virtual hug or two are not true friends. Instead they are merely filling space on my contacts list. 

I have had good friends phone, email, and/or instant-message me. Wishing good luck, saying a prayer or two. A couple folks took time to reach out with long conversations, checking up on how I was doing both before and afterwards. Like the poles on a teepee each of us hold the others up, preventing them from falling down. Almost all of those friends have issues of their own they have to deal with, we're all life members of the Island of Misfit Toys. 


In spite of that, or perhaps because of that, we click. Those people formed a gaming team that was remarkable in its cohesion and teamwork abilities. Other groups wrote about us on their forums, wondering who the heck we were and how come we were as good at beating the pants off them as we were.⃰  The secret was simple, we cared about each other and used a private communications channel to relay information in order to keep outside interference to a minimum.





Those friends look after me. They spot the hard-to-find individuals and share their findings so my poor color vision does not hinder us. They'll note when I'm feeling off and get me to start up the oxygen concentrator. And they call, just to see how I'm doing.

Anyway, I won't be conversing much anymore with that person who cared so little about me. He may have a lot of positive attributes going for him, but the lack of empathy is a game changer, that friendship is getting tossed into the waste basket. The true friends I have are looking after me and I look after them.

⃰  On the forums for the group Legion at War there was a large thread discussing who was this team Dark Rift Team Bastard. One comment, which we took as a compliment, stated that we "were a menace to society" due to our skills in sabotage of enemy assets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Closing a chapter.

My last post was so full of darkness, I hate to follow on with another sad article. Life does not always allow for happy moments interspersing the less happy. For countless years ( honestly, I can't count this time in the morning ) I have been engaged in a hobby project writing a fairly massive software library of routines for use in adventure and combat simulations I call Zulu. When I started the project way back whenever I did weeks of research trying to determine the " best " game engine to use. Factors like ease of use, rendering quality, support, and cost all were gathered, then ground in the number-cruncher to determine a winner. In the end, Unity3d was the clear winner. In the last two weeks Unity announced a series of changes to its Terms and Conditions including how it charges for applications built using Unity that put a huge burden on developers, especially the smaller groups.   Th...

How old are you?

Back in my college days I  occasionally encountered someone who doubted I was just in my early 20s. To them I seemed to be much older because of all that I had experienced plus all the things I knew about from reading so much. Eventually I ran into the term "old soul" - a person wise beyond their years. Some believe than an old soul has lived many previous lives and has retained some of memories and experiences of those lives. It's an interesting premise which does explain why I'm so comfortable in certain places and enjoying certain activities.  I once took one of those online quizzes, How old is your soul? , knowing full well that the test is just for entertainment. The results were to say the least, bemusing. According to that quiz, I have lived 1,532  past lives. Even for an old soul that's a lot of trips around our sun. My gaming friends like to tease each other in a friendly way now and then. Because I'm the most senior member and much older than man...

Barbarians at the gates.

One of those telling moments in history was August 25, 410 AD . That morning the citizens of Rome looked out at the Visigoth forces of Alaric as defenses failed and thousands of Visigoths poured though the breach. Thus began the sack of Rome.  For three days the Visigoths plundered the former capital of the Roman Empire. Rome would never be the same again. It was the  End of Western Civilization . Old symbols come crashing down.                                                                                                                        The Visigoths had already taken 2-1/2 tons of gold, 15 tons of silver, thousands of fabric, and 2-1/2 tons of pepper during a siege two yea...