Skip to main content

Thoughts from the Back Porch

 It's been a busy couple of weeks recently.


  • There was an attempt to assassinate former president Trump.
  • Amid mounting pressure, President Biden quit his reelection effort. Vice President Harris is now the Democrat candidate for that office.
  • Ukraine forces have crossed into Russia near Kursk, making substantial gains.

It was a minor miracle that Mr. Trump survived the attempt on his life. The shooter was nearly at point-blank range for the AR-15 he was wielding. My observations on the matter...

After the attempt and subsequent killing of Thomas Crooks, his parents seem unemotional. Your son tries to kill a nationally known figure, then is shot dead by a counter sniper, and you just go "oh well"? The detachment shown is striking.

The shooter was alone on that rooftop. However I'm not convinced Crooks planned this attack by himself. Somebody managed to radicalize this man enough to want to assassinate a major political figure. Where did he get the idea of using drones, rangefinders to survey the target sight and who taught him about making IEDs?  

The Secret Service. While the men and women assigned to directly protect Trump acted in the highest fashion, not much can be said in regards to those in charge of site prep and threat assessment. For all effective purposes there was no security on site, Trump was placed in a kill-box by individuals reaching up to the very top of the service. A haunting re-creation of ancient Rome's Praetorian Guard - who killed a number of emperors they did not like.

My bets are on any investigations hitting massive walls of stone, leading to little to no corrective action.


Communications stove-piped at the scene before and during the shooting. This was something that was supposed to have been corrected after 9/11. The Department of Homeland Security was created to increase the interoperability between member agencies. That goal is clearly a failure, leaving one to doubt the use of having such a department at all. Why are we being subjected to TSA screening before flights while thousands of unvetted men and women stream across our borders daily?

After years of increasingly feebleness, Biden finally steps down. Was he pushed? Hell yeah. Some talking heads are complaining that this action denies the population at large of their say in who becomes the party choice for President. People forget that all political parties are private organisations, they have no obligation to listen to the populace for anything. Making decisions used to be done in smoke-filled back rooms.

Surprise, it's being done again. And the media has turned on a dime, recasting Harris from "Oh God, we can't let her take Joe's place." to the new messiah that will lead us all to the promised land of Socialism and DEI.

Finally the war in Eastern Europe. Since the beginning of the fighting aid to Ukraine has had restrictions about it being for defensive use only. Which is like telling a boxer they can only block punches thrown at them ( ahem - US policy for Israel dealing with terror groups ).











Something has changed, Ukraine has gone on the offensive and make big gains into territory around Kursk. Has the US changed it's tune? I doubt it. But Europe has and quite openly. Arms are beginning to flow to Ukraine without strings on usage. Even the Greens in Germany have decided to give Ukraine the unrestricted help it needs.


Naturally Putin is beside himself as Russian forces fold like badly-made lawn furniture under the Ukrainian onslaught.











Drones, artillery, and anti-air systems have all been brought to bear with amazingly good results for the Ukrainians. Question remains, what will Putin do in response? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Closing a chapter.

My last post was so full of darkness, I hate to follow on with another sad article. Life does not always allow for happy moments interspersing the less happy. For countless years ( honestly, I can't count this time in the morning ) I have been engaged in a hobby project writing a fairly massive software library of routines for use in adventure and combat simulations I call Zulu. When I started the project way back whenever I did weeks of research trying to determine the " best " game engine to use. Factors like ease of use, rendering quality, support, and cost all were gathered, then ground in the number-cruncher to determine a winner. In the end, Unity3d was the clear winner. In the last two weeks Unity announced a series of changes to its Terms and Conditions including how it charges for applications built using Unity that put a huge burden on developers, especially the smaller groups.   Th...

How old are you?

Back in my college days I  occasionally encountered someone who doubted I was just in my early 20s. To them I seemed to be much older because of all that I had experienced plus all the things I knew about from reading so much. Eventually I ran into the term "old soul" - a person wise beyond their years. Some believe than an old soul has lived many previous lives and has retained some of memories and experiences of those lives. It's an interesting premise which does explain why I'm so comfortable in certain places and enjoying certain activities.  I once took one of those online quizzes, How old is your soul? , knowing full well that the test is just for entertainment. The results were to say the least, bemusing. According to that quiz, I have lived 1,532  past lives. Even for an old soul that's a lot of trips around our sun. My gaming friends like to tease each other in a friendly way now and then. Because I'm the most senior member and much older than man...

Time loop

George Santayana said, " Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it. " He implies that historical events are cyclical, often due to people failing to learn from the mistakes others had made. If so, the people involved must have been been remarkably stupid. We're going through a cycle now and true to form people are being stupid. France 1788, the Ancien Régime  is having a grand old time. After all they're not common folk. They're above those swine, not even subject to the rules they impose in some cases. A year later the aristocracy was literally running for it's life as mobs overthrew the ruling class, frequently sending nobles to the guillotine. The executions became so common it was treated like daytime TV. Children would play, women calmly knitting as the blade plunged down. Today we are again experiencing a separation of privilege, but there are no aristocrats around. Instead there are members of the legislative and executive branches that...