Skip to main content

Time loop


George Santayana said, "Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it." He implies that historical events are cyclical, often due to people failing to learn from the mistakes others had made. If so, the people involved must have been been remarkably stupid. We're going through a cycle now and true to form people are being stupid.

France 1788, the Ancien RĂ©gime is having a grand old time. After all they're not common folk. They're above those swine, not even subject to the rules they impose in some cases. A year later the aristocracy was literally running for it's life as mobs overthrew the ruling class, frequently sending nobles to the guillotine. The executions became so common it was treated like daytime TV. Children would play, women calmly knitting as the blade plunged down.

Today we are again experiencing a separation of privilege, but there are no aristocrats around. Instead there are members of the legislative and executive branches that have wrapped themselves in purple.

  • Nancy Pelosi.

    The Speaker of the House who tore up a State of Union speech on live TV. Who insists on frequent flights to her home district using military pilots because commercial airlines are not secure enough for her. While home she breaks COVID-19 isolation rules in order to get her hair done. Her most arrogant moment was demanding a health care bill be passed so that its contents could be read.
  • Maxine Waters.

    Congresswoman, black racist, drama queen. Infamous for demanding airlines give her a first-class seating at the expense of a passenger already seated. Demanded that US Sky Marshals be diverted from protecting commercial airline flights, instead boosting her personal security. Recently flew to Minneapolis just to incite a crowd to become more violent towards the police.
  • Joe  Biden.

    The man behind Barrack Obama's disastrous foreign policy missteps. Now as president he has flung the doors open on the southern border, and then killed construction of a major pipeline that employed thousands. All the while denying that there are any problems.
  • John Kerry. 

    The man who threw away his medals in protest, but ran for office claiming to a war hero. Gave the Iranians millions of dollars to not stop developing nuclear weapons. Flies around in a private jet while demanding people curtail their carbon emissions.

All these people freaked out when protesters stormed the Capital, briefly occupying the building. For a moment those controlling the country saw a mob bearing down on them with visions of overthrow. It was Bastille Day 2021, just for a moment. But moments have a habit of reoccurring.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How old are you?

Back in my college days I  occasionally encountered someone who doubted I was just in my early 20s. To them I seemed to be much older because of all that I had experienced plus all the things I knew about from reading so much. Eventually I ran into the term "old soul" - a person wise beyond their years. Some believe than an old soul has lived many previous lives and has retained some of memories and experiences of those lives. It's an interesting premise which does explain why I'm so comfortable in certain places and enjoying certain activities.  I once took one of those online quizzes, How old is your soul? , knowing full well that the test is just for entertainment. The results were to say the least, bemusing. According to that quiz, I have lived 1,532  past lives. Even for an old soul that's a lot of trips around our sun. My gaming friends like to tease each other in a friendly way now and then. Because I'm the most senior member and much older than man...

Closing a chapter.

My last post was so full of darkness, I hate to follow on with another sad article. Life does not always allow for happy moments interspersing the less happy. For countless years ( honestly, I can't count this time in the morning ) I have been engaged in a hobby project writing a fairly massive software library of routines for use in adventure and combat simulations I call Zulu. When I started the project way back whenever I did weeks of research trying to determine the " best " game engine to use. Factors like ease of use, rendering quality, support, and cost all were gathered, then ground in the number-cruncher to determine a winner. In the end, Unity3d was the clear winner. In the last two weeks Unity announced a series of changes to its Terms and Conditions including how it charges for applications built using Unity that put a huge burden on developers, especially the smaller groups.   Th...

Barbarians at the gates.

One of those telling moments in history was August 25, 410 AD . That morning the citizens of Rome looked out at the Visigoth forces of Alaric as defenses failed and thousands of Visigoths poured though the breach. Thus began the sack of Rome.  For three days the Visigoths plundered the former capital of the Roman Empire. Rome would never be the same again. It was the  End of Western Civilization . Old symbols come crashing down.                                                                                                                        The Visigoths had already taken 2-1/2 tons of gold, 15 tons of silver, thousands of fabric, and 2-1/2 tons of pepper during a siege two yea...