Skip to main content

Lord please, Mercy

 


Now the end of August, thankfully both political parties have now had their conventions, a pair of far more mind-numbing events than usual this year. Normally one at least has the actual nomination vote to watch with those over-inflated declarations of the grandeur of one's state before a delegate submits the vote count from their state to be tallied.

What made those micro-speeches fun were two things....

First he/she was in all likelihood suffering from the mother of all hang-overs after a week-long binge of cheap booze and partying hardy away from work and family.


Which made his/her staid deliver to the cameras one heck of an acting job.

Second, the odd little bits of trivia they were boasting about were for the most part actually true. Not that anyone else cares that much about Illinois, the folks who live there consider these factoids very important.

What was to be avoided were the headliner addresses. Delivered by either a war-horse or sometimes an up-and-comer, these often lengthy speeches are meant to fire up the party base. The real purpose is to serve as a launching platform for higher office. Here we'd get the full load of tall-tales, lies, and innuendo -- bleh.


Which is bad enough as is, but people never stopped playing that game after the last presidential cycle. Instead of a couple months of being fed stories so bad that a tabloid editor would reject them we've been fed this slop for over four years!

This does not bode well for after the election either.  No one I know wants to deal with more "expositions" on Twitter, Facebook, or nightly news. Now if just the politicos got that message.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How old are you?

Back in my college days I  occasionally encountered someone who doubted I was just in my early 20s. To them I seemed to be much older because of all that I had experienced plus all the things I knew about from reading so much. Eventually I ran into the term "old soul" - a person wise beyond their years. Some believe than an old soul has lived many previous lives and has retained some of memories and experiences of those lives. It's an interesting premise which does explain why I'm so comfortable in certain places and enjoying certain activities.  I once took one of those online quizzes, How old is your soul? , knowing full well that the test is just for entertainment. The results were to say the least, bemusing. According to that quiz, I have lived 1,532  past lives. Even for an old soul that's a lot of trips around our sun. My gaming friends like to tease each other in a friendly way now and then. Because I'm the most senior member and much older than man...

Closing a chapter.

My last post was so full of darkness, I hate to follow on with another sad article. Life does not always allow for happy moments interspersing the less happy. For countless years ( honestly, I can't count this time in the morning ) I have been engaged in a hobby project writing a fairly massive software library of routines for use in adventure and combat simulations I call Zulu. When I started the project way back whenever I did weeks of research trying to determine the " best " game engine to use. Factors like ease of use, rendering quality, support, and cost all were gathered, then ground in the number-cruncher to determine a winner. In the end, Unity3d was the clear winner. In the last two weeks Unity announced a series of changes to its Terms and Conditions including how it charges for applications built using Unity that put a huge burden on developers, especially the smaller groups.   Th...

Barbarians at the gates.

One of those telling moments in history was August 25, 410 AD . That morning the citizens of Rome looked out at the Visigoth forces of Alaric as defenses failed and thousands of Visigoths poured though the breach. Thus began the sack of Rome.  For three days the Visigoths plundered the former capital of the Roman Empire. Rome would never be the same again. It was the  End of Western Civilization . Old symbols come crashing down.                                                                                                                        The Visigoths had already taken 2-1/2 tons of gold, 15 tons of silver, thousands of fabric, and 2-1/2 tons of pepper during a siege two yea...