Skip to main content

I love you, Shorty.

Today is a special day for my wife, Jill. Today is her birthday and so hard to believe that it's her 60th. Her name is said to mean youthful and it fits. Between her height ( she is all of 4' 12" tall )  and cheery round face with sparkling blue eyes she's been mistaken for someone far younger many time. Even real kids have mistaken her for one of their own at times. I suspect her Swedish heritage includes some of the wee folk. 😊


I met Jill during my senior year in college at a AD&D game hosted by one of her friends from her hometown as a welcoming mixer to River Falls. Secretly Rhonda was hoping to set Jill up with the game referee, Steve. Steve had invited me to come along because he believed that I was a good player besides needing extra bodies for his campaign. I ended being a team leader. Not the normal place for a wizard character who should command from the rear if at all. At one point a very new and now distraught Jill was stranded with her horse soundly snoozing - it having drunk from a steam full of sleeping potion. Out of kindness I reversed the spell,  thinking that the matter was no big deal. Later I did make a polite suggestion for a meeting at the local Brathaus for some wine and popcorn.

We met and met again. Talk, talk and more talk. Chatting into the small hours. It became obvious we were very fond of each other. Initially Rhonda was beside herself, but she eventually saw how much I cared for her good friend. Steve was not short-changed either, he ended up going out with the girl I had dated a few times with they becoming a steady couple as well.

I graduated from UWRF first, Jill the year later. She's a genius with the manipulation of words as well as being very good at digging through resources to find things. That skill helped her find the job listing that led to my career at LLNL. Our honeymoon was traveling to Livermore. The flight out to California was her first time away from Minnesota and Wisconsin. My left hand was almost purple from her death-grip during that flight, but I did not mind.

We set up housekeeping in that strange new land, first in an apartment and eventually a townhouse. Jill landed a job at the library in the nearby city of Pleasanton. There she proved to be a hard-worker and always eager to be of help to others. From doing extra chores like reading shelves for correct book location to making closing announcements despite being a fairly shy person to helping chase down escaped turtles from the children's section Jill did her best and then some. When retirement finally came around the staff threw a massive party in her honor. I was proud to see that so many came to say goodbye to "Little Miss Jill".

Now we are back in Wisconsin. Close enough to Minnesota that Jill can visit her hometown up north with not much effort. The people here are friendly and quite a few have taken a shine to "Little Miss Jill". She can run around in her Vikings memorabilia with only a small chance of enduring some friendly ribbing from Packer fans here with her joshing them back in good-natured fun. She is the epitome of a sports nut, enjoying multiple baseball and football games while curled up in her recliner with a word-puzzle book, a snack and some Pepsi.

After 36 years of marriage I will still use "please" and "thank-you" with Jill - I still love her, even more now in many ways. So today I'm going to be making a special treat she first fell in love with during our college days. That being gyros sandwiches.


I don't have a vertical rotisserie like the greek restaurants have, but my version is still pretty tasty. Knowing how much she will enjoy some of these "lamb burgers" makes the effort well worth the time spent.

After all - I love her dearly. She is my marmot, shortkin, da runt, and many other gentle sayings about the person who describes herself as Undertall. I love to give her pick-me-up-hugs and squeaky kisses. All to bring out that sunny smile of hers. Especially on today, her birthday.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How old are you?

Back in my college days I  occasionally encountered someone who doubted I was just in my early 20s. To them I seemed to be much older because of all that I had experienced plus all the things I knew about from reading so much. Eventually I ran into the term "old soul" - a person wise beyond their years. Some believe than an old soul has lived many previous lives and has retained some of memories and experiences of those lives. It's an interesting premise which does explain why I'm so comfortable in certain places and enjoying certain activities.  I once took one of those online quizzes, How old is your soul? , knowing full well that the test is just for entertainment. The results were to say the least, bemusing. According to that quiz, I have lived 1,532  past lives. Even for an old soul that's a lot of trips around our sun. My gaming friends like to tease each other in a friendly way now and then. Because I'm the most senior member and much older than man...

Closing a chapter.

My last post was so full of darkness, I hate to follow on with another sad article. Life does not always allow for happy moments interspersing the less happy. For countless years ( honestly, I can't count this time in the morning ) I have been engaged in a hobby project writing a fairly massive software library of routines for use in adventure and combat simulations I call Zulu. When I started the project way back whenever I did weeks of research trying to determine the " best " game engine to use. Factors like ease of use, rendering quality, support, and cost all were gathered, then ground in the number-cruncher to determine a winner. In the end, Unity3d was the clear winner. In the last two weeks Unity announced a series of changes to its Terms and Conditions including how it charges for applications built using Unity that put a huge burden on developers, especially the smaller groups.   Th...

Time loop

George Santayana said, " Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it. " He implies that historical events are cyclical, often due to people failing to learn from the mistakes others had made. If so, the people involved must have been been remarkably stupid. We're going through a cycle now and true to form people are being stupid. France 1788, the Ancien Régime  is having a grand old time. After all they're not common folk. They're above those swine, not even subject to the rules they impose in some cases. A year later the aristocracy was literally running for it's life as mobs overthrew the ruling class, frequently sending nobles to the guillotine. The executions became so common it was treated like daytime TV. Children would play, women calmly knitting as the blade plunged down. Today we are again experiencing a separation of privilege, but there are no aristocrats around. Instead there are members of the legislative and executive branches that...