Skip to main content

Sharing a meal

I mentioned in my first posting here that I once worked as a chef. It was a fascinating experience working at that little eatery. I did more than just prepare meals. I waited on tables, bussed the dinnerware, washed dishes, did the daily book-keeping, help secure a renovation loan, set and grout floor tile, moved a staircase, and helped make the heavy decision to let some go. That last task convinced me that I never want to be a manager. Leading a team, yes. But no more. In a restaurant setting I could run the line and service staff. Let another more qualified person handle the hiring and firing as well as other managerial chores.

I still enjoy cooking. When I start describing the preparation of a meal it's practically certain that the listener will soon complain that I'm making them hungry. Many of my creations are what I call heart-friendly.  I won't go into that category of heart-healthy. Many of those dishes are frankly boring, they have gone so far into "health" that flavor went out the window. Eating tasteless stuff like that day after day is bound to increase stress levels - do that enough and you will get a heart attack. So my meals will use items like bacon fat and butter as seasonings to enhance the flavor. There is not enough to be a problem, the food just tastes good and that makes people happy. The idea intrigued my doctors. So I wrote down a few to share with others. I hope you try them out, as items to enjoy in moderation along with a good walk with friends afterwards.

Check the page list in this blog for recipes. Most, like my Balsamic Dijon Vinaigrette are heart-friendly. More will be added when the mood strikes me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How old are you?

Back in my college days I  occasionally encountered someone who doubted I was just in my early 20s. To them I seemed to be much older because of all that I had experienced plus all the things I knew about from reading so much. Eventually I ran into the term "old soul" - a person wise beyond their years. Some believe than an old soul has lived many previous lives and has retained some of memories and experiences of those lives. It's an interesting premise which does explain why I'm so comfortable in certain places and enjoying certain activities.  I once took one of those online quizzes, How old is your soul? , knowing full well that the test is just for entertainment. The results were to say the least, bemusing. According to that quiz, I have lived 1,532  past lives. Even for an old soul that's a lot of trips around our sun. My gaming friends like to tease each other in a friendly way now and then. Because I'm the most senior member and much older than man...

Closing a chapter.

My last post was so full of darkness, I hate to follow on with another sad article. Life does not always allow for happy moments interspersing the less happy. For countless years ( honestly, I can't count this time in the morning ) I have been engaged in a hobby project writing a fairly massive software library of routines for use in adventure and combat simulations I call Zulu. When I started the project way back whenever I did weeks of research trying to determine the " best " game engine to use. Factors like ease of use, rendering quality, support, and cost all were gathered, then ground in the number-cruncher to determine a winner. In the end, Unity3d was the clear winner. In the last two weeks Unity announced a series of changes to its Terms and Conditions including how it charges for applications built using Unity that put a huge burden on developers, especially the smaller groups.   Th...

Barbarians at the gates.

One of those telling moments in history was August 25, 410 AD . That morning the citizens of Rome looked out at the Visigoth forces of Alaric as defenses failed and thousands of Visigoths poured though the breach. Thus began the sack of Rome.  For three days the Visigoths plundered the former capital of the Roman Empire. Rome would never be the same again. It was the  End of Western Civilization . Old symbols come crashing down.                                                                                                                        The Visigoths had already taken 2-1/2 tons of gold, 15 tons of silver, thousands of fabric, and 2-1/2 tons of pepper during a siege two yea...