Skip to main content

Enjoying a good story.

As a child I was what some would call a bookworm. My mom insisted from a very early time that you had to wash your hands before handling any of the books in the house. Well, anything that required that much effort by a kid just had to be good, so wash up and read I did in earnest.

There were coffee table books, books on travel, old history books, music books, medical texts and technical books. I got caught smuggling books to school because the selection in the school library had been exhausted. Countless hours were spent at our city library. Soon the children's section had been picked over too. The library staff decided that I was mature enough, so they gave me access to the rest of the stacks at the tender age of eleven.

Mom thought I was reading too many technical books and effectively ordered that I try something else, hoping I'd bring home some fiction. That week I came home with my usual armload of books, some of the works were fiction. Science fiction. Of course she was a bit put-out, sci-fi was not what she'd intended. But the selection was excellent - classic works by Clark, Bradbury, and Asimov. Anthologies became a favorite selection. The short stories inside could be read during snack time and if one entry was not that good another was just a few pages away.

There was sci-fi on television as well, though the quality of many shows were poor. A few like the original Star Trek held promise, after all who would diss episodes written by Harlan Ellison or Robert Bloch? However, if you wanted to enjoy the good stuff it was still found in print and the occasional superlative movie like Forbidden Planet or 2001.

That changed in the late 80s. Surfing the channels I encountered the pilot episode for a new series called Babylon 5. The creation of J.M. Straczynski, B5 broke new ground for television sci-fi in countless areas. What mattered most to me was that it was effectively a 5-year novel, all the episodes buttressed off each other. I was and still am a huge fan of that series, even owning a number of collectables that came out.


  
There were a number of times that I spoke via email with Joe. One of our conversation was later mentioned in one of the script books he published after the conclusion of the series.

Other good shows started to appear on cable. Worthy fiction, but somehow never holding the appeal of Babylon 5. Would there ever be another series that had the wow factor that the writing of JMS had? Yes, recently I stumbled onto a series with all the attention to detail and wonderful storytelling that I'd enjoyed years ago. The series is called The Expanse. It has just been picked up by Amazon's Prime network - Jeff Bezos happens to be a fan.

I'm looking forward to season 4. If you enjoy sci-fi you should take a look at this series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How old are you?

Back in my college days I  occasionally encountered someone who doubted I was just in my early 20s. To them I seemed to be much older because of all that I had experienced plus all the things I knew about from reading so much. Eventually I ran into the term "old soul" - a person wise beyond their years. Some believe than an old soul has lived many previous lives and has retained some of memories and experiences of those lives. It's an interesting premise which does explain why I'm so comfortable in certain places and enjoying certain activities.  I once took one of those online quizzes, How old is your soul? , knowing full well that the test is just for entertainment. The results were to say the least, bemusing. According to that quiz, I have lived 1,532  past lives. Even for an old soul that's a lot of trips around our sun. My gaming friends like to tease each other in a friendly way now and then. Because I'm the most senior member and much older than man...

Closing a chapter.

My last post was so full of darkness, I hate to follow on with another sad article. Life does not always allow for happy moments interspersing the less happy. For countless years ( honestly, I can't count this time in the morning ) I have been engaged in a hobby project writing a fairly massive software library of routines for use in adventure and combat simulations I call Zulu. When I started the project way back whenever I did weeks of research trying to determine the " best " game engine to use. Factors like ease of use, rendering quality, support, and cost all were gathered, then ground in the number-cruncher to determine a winner. In the end, Unity3d was the clear winner. In the last two weeks Unity announced a series of changes to its Terms and Conditions including how it charges for applications built using Unity that put a huge burden on developers, especially the smaller groups.   Th...

Barbarians at the gates.

One of those telling moments in history was August 25, 410 AD . That morning the citizens of Rome looked out at the Visigoth forces of Alaric as defenses failed and thousands of Visigoths poured though the breach. Thus began the sack of Rome.  For three days the Visigoths plundered the former capital of the Roman Empire. Rome would never be the same again. It was the  End of Western Civilization . Old symbols come crashing down.                                                                                                                        The Visigoths had already taken 2-1/2 tons of gold, 15 tons of silver, thousands of fabric, and 2-1/2 tons of pepper during a siege two yea...