Skip to main content

Deplorable - yes I am!!!

During the 2016 presidential election one candidate made a comment about some people favoring her opponent as being "deplorable". It was a comment that was intended to follow up another earlier presidential candidate's comment, in part saying, "They get bitter, they cling to guns or religion...".

The deplorable comment really hit home and not in a positive way for the woman from New York by way of Arkansas and Illinois. I'm quite sure it cost her Wisconsin along with several other states. She's been in a petulant snit ever since, claiming she was robbed of the office she believes she was entitled to.

What both candidates failed to understand is people do cling to religion and have a strong tie to owning firearms. It's not a weakness or some throwback attitude, but basic American philosophy. By trying to denigrate those attitudes they triggered a backlash so massive that years later they're still blinking and saying to themselves, "What happened?"

Religion:

I'm a Christian, specifically Lutheran, Wisconsin Synod. Raised in that church and not about to join any other. Technically there is the word Evangelical in the full name of our branch of the Lutheran faith, but I'm very low-key about recruiting others. Instead I try to focus on my own redemption and not push my beliefs down the throats of others.

Occasionally someone does become interested. One of the bus drivers back in Livermore was a strident atheist. He'd fallen away from faith after his time in Vietnam. Almost daily he'd talk with me and sometimes I'd listen patiently to his opinions about Christianity being merely a "sacrificial religion." One day he did ask me about why I'm a Christian.

"Do you have any children?"

"Yes, a son."

"Have you ever had a falling-out with him?"

"Yes..."

His expression radiated sadness at the memory.

"Suppose you are walking down the street and your son was approaching you. It's an awkward moment, you can tell he does not want to speak to you. Suddenly you see a car speeding down the street, coming up fast. It's a street gang and they're taking aim at your son. Would you push him out of the way and take the bullet for him, despite all he's done to hurt you??"

"Yes, of course I would. He's still my son."

"That's what God has done for all of us. Sent his son to take the bullet for us."

It was epiphany for the driver - there were a lot more ideas to consider and his feelings of doubt not so strong. I merely opened a door for him to step through if he desired to.

Firearms:


I own firearms. They are a minor component of a much larger collection of weapons collected over the years. For me the workmanship, artistry, and history all matter. These are in many ways art pieces, though they do have a darker side than a Dutch Masters oil painting. The two rifles I own are used primarily for one thing - target shooting.

For me, there is the one true sport - benchrest shooting. The participant uses a mechanical rest to steady his rifle, attempting to make as small a group of shots on target as possible. Groups are typically 5 or 10 shots.





In competition there are modified varmint rifles in one class and the so-called rail guns in the unlimited class. These weapons are barely recognizable as rifles, being a barrel and action attached to a sophisticated clamping system that is fixed to the shooter's bench.






My preferred rifle is an Anschütz 54 match, chambered in .22 long rifle.







Being at the range is very much like the sport of kyūdō. There is a discipline to how I place a cartridge in the chamber, close the bolt using just my thumb, taking careful sight of my target, waiting for the proper moment, and then squeezing the trigger using just the two muscles controlling the tip of my finger. You shoot not only between breathes, but heartbeats. The image in the scope will jiggle slightly due to my pulse being transmitted to the rifle by my hand. Controlling the drift in aim, correcting for range and wind drift all make shooting at this level a challenge that I enjoy immensely.


And for the most part I'm not too bad at it. Not world class, but could give some folks a scare in the race for 1st place. This is a 5-shot group I made once - ordinary bulk ammo on a hot windy day at 50 meters. The image is slightly larger than life-sized.






I have also fired a pistol as well as some battle rifles. The results were good enough to impress the range master. But I prefer my "little" .22 rifle. Which at 26 pounds is not that little.

I'm a gun owner not some maniac who wants to murder a school full of kids. My targets are paper, not people. If being a Christian and a target shooter makes me deplorable then that's what I am and I'll be proud of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How old are you?

Back in my college days I  occasionally encountered someone who doubted I was just in my early 20s. To them I seemed to be much older because of all that I had experienced plus all the things I knew about from reading so much. Eventually I ran into the term "old soul" - a person wise beyond their years. Some believe than an old soul has lived many previous lives and has retained some of memories and experiences of those lives. It's an interesting premise which does explain why I'm so comfortable in certain places and enjoying certain activities.  I once took one of those online quizzes, How old is your soul? , knowing full well that the test is just for entertainment. The results were to say the least, bemusing. According to that quiz, I have lived 1,532  past lives. Even for an old soul that's a lot of trips around our sun. My gaming friends like to tease each other in a friendly way now and then. Because I'm the most senior member and much older than man...

Closing a chapter.

My last post was so full of darkness, I hate to follow on with another sad article. Life does not always allow for happy moments interspersing the less happy. For countless years ( honestly, I can't count this time in the morning ) I have been engaged in a hobby project writing a fairly massive software library of routines for use in adventure and combat simulations I call Zulu. When I started the project way back whenever I did weeks of research trying to determine the " best " game engine to use. Factors like ease of use, rendering quality, support, and cost all were gathered, then ground in the number-cruncher to determine a winner. In the end, Unity3d was the clear winner. In the last two weeks Unity announced a series of changes to its Terms and Conditions including how it charges for applications built using Unity that put a huge burden on developers, especially the smaller groups.   Th...

Time loop

George Santayana said, " Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it. " He implies that historical events are cyclical, often due to people failing to learn from the mistakes others had made. If so, the people involved must have been been remarkably stupid. We're going through a cycle now and true to form people are being stupid. France 1788, the Ancien Régime  is having a grand old time. After all they're not common folk. They're above those swine, not even subject to the rules they impose in some cases. A year later the aristocracy was literally running for it's life as mobs overthrew the ruling class, frequently sending nobles to the guillotine. The executions became so common it was treated like daytime TV. Children would play, women calmly knitting as the blade plunged down. Today we are again experiencing a separation of privilege, but there are no aristocrats around. Instead there are members of the legislative and executive branches that...