Skip to main content

Tunes. Gotta have some tunes.

Like many males, I enjoy kicking back listening to music - preferably in a darkened room while the audio stack provides that dim but essential mood lighting guys prefer. Moving back to Wisconsin meant that one house had to accommodate both my father's stereo system and my audio stack since we were both stubborn audiophiles that would never part ways with our toys.  Consequently I was tasked with designing a media center to host our equipment in a tidy manner.

Previously I had been using Fusion 360 to design models for my Zulu software library. Now I had to learn to adapt drafting skills not used since high school to a modern CAD/CAM system. Thoughts became a concept, a strawman was shared with my dad for his approval, and eventually some working drawings were generated. The cabinet maker did a marvelous job of converting those drawing into a real piece of white oak furniture.


Shortly after the initial racking up of the components - including my VMPS 18" subwoofer.

The finished piece uses LEDs to throw curtains of light down over the panels, giving just the right effect for late-night listening.

The associated collection of vinyl and CD is naturally extensive. My father gravitated towards big band from the 30s through the 50s as well as quite a few classical symphonic works. My tastes are eclectic, ranging from Mahler to Rammstein, Kitaro to Gilmore.

So what is appropriate at this moment? The news has been more of a circus than usual with legislators refusing to do anything that would show cooperation with the executive branch. Instead they're spending all their time in televised hearings with so little devotion to finding the truth that the ghost of Joe McCarthy must be stunned in amazement. Similarly, city governments have turned to protecting those that have broken into homes in lieu of homeowners paying all the taxes. Now typhus is spreading throughout the city.

What kind of tune would be appropriate? Should we play something full of dark anger, a growling piece like Rammstein's Deutschland?  Sadly wistful like Clapton's Change the World or Pink Floyd's High Hopes?

No. The world is descending into a new Dark Age. Already there is suppression of speech on campus and in the street - soon books will begin to burn. I cannot allow myself to fall into a rage or become depressed by these events because either would become a trap with little hope of escape.

Instead - this piece is being played tonight.




Good night folks, sleep well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How old are you?

Back in my college days I  occasionally encountered someone who doubted I was just in my early 20s. To them I seemed to be much older because of all that I had experienced plus all the things I knew about from reading so much. Eventually I ran into the term "old soul" - a person wise beyond their years. Some believe than an old soul has lived many previous lives and has retained some of memories and experiences of those lives. It's an interesting premise which does explain why I'm so comfortable in certain places and enjoying certain activities.  I once took one of those online quizzes, How old is your soul? , knowing full well that the test is just for entertainment. The results were to say the least, bemusing. According to that quiz, I have lived 1,532  past lives. Even for an old soul that's a lot of trips around our sun. My gaming friends like to tease each other in a friendly way now and then. Because I'm the most senior member and much older than man...

Closing a chapter.

My last post was so full of darkness, I hate to follow on with another sad article. Life does not always allow for happy moments interspersing the less happy. For countless years ( honestly, I can't count this time in the morning ) I have been engaged in a hobby project writing a fairly massive software library of routines for use in adventure and combat simulations I call Zulu. When I started the project way back whenever I did weeks of research trying to determine the " best " game engine to use. Factors like ease of use, rendering quality, support, and cost all were gathered, then ground in the number-cruncher to determine a winner. In the end, Unity3d was the clear winner. In the last two weeks Unity announced a series of changes to its Terms and Conditions including how it charges for applications built using Unity that put a huge burden on developers, especially the smaller groups.   Th...

Barbarians at the gates.

One of those telling moments in history was August 25, 410 AD . That morning the citizens of Rome looked out at the Visigoth forces of Alaric as defenses failed and thousands of Visigoths poured though the breach. Thus began the sack of Rome.  For three days the Visigoths plundered the former capital of the Roman Empire. Rome would never be the same again. It was the  End of Western Civilization . Old symbols come crashing down.                                                                                                                        The Visigoths had already taken 2-1/2 tons of gold, 15 tons of silver, thousands of fabric, and 2-1/2 tons of pepper during a siege two yea...