Skip to main content

Life: Slow and otherwise.

One of the current fads is something called Slow Living. More a group of associated lifestyles rather than a single philosophy, all subscribe to the notion of embracing a way of life that is less hurried, more self-sufficient, and often less  dependent on technology. Proponents include those that homestead, the Amish, and the so-called "Slow Food" movement - who have turned away from eateries that prepare generic entrees meant for eating on the go in favor of places you can sit  down and enjoy local speciality prepared with care using local produce.

One thing I always hated was being a slave to a clock. Always needing to rush to some meeting that someone thought was important and really wasn't. Why was I filling out a time card itemizing my hours when I was a salaried employee? Why did it matter? The job got done and done right whether it took half an hour or I worked overnight on it.

Equally annoying was having to deal with constant flux of account numbers to charge work against. Lord help you if you mistakenly used last month's numbers. Artificial pressure created by bureaucracy to keep worker bees miserable while ensuring job-security for some bean counters. Ugh.

My childhood was life near farms and the land. The cycle of life was driven by the season not a sweep-second hand. Planting time, cultivating, harvest season goes back thousands of years. Small wonder it feels more natural to many.

One of my first acts upon retirement was to discard the timepiece that had enslaved me. I still like pocket watches, as art and a nice way to dress sharply for special occasions. But no more digital doodads beeping reminders that must be attended. I'm done with that mindless rush through the day, now back to the ancient seasonal cycle.

Fall is coming. You can feel it in the air. It's still warm outside, but those days in the 90s are behind us for the year. Time to start thinking  about cooking stews and roasts. Now and then some items in the wok.  Even when cooking I reject the tyranny of the clock. Grandma's method - cook it until it's done.

It's so much more peaceful this way. One may never be able to be totally happy, but I can laugh a lot more now. Call that a win.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How old are you?

Back in my college days I  occasionally encountered someone who doubted I was just in my early 20s. To them I seemed to be much older because of all that I had experienced plus all the things I knew about from reading so much. Eventually I ran into the term "old soul" - a person wise beyond their years. Some believe than an old soul has lived many previous lives and has retained some of memories and experiences of those lives. It's an interesting premise which does explain why I'm so comfortable in certain places and enjoying certain activities.  I once took one of those online quizzes, How old is your soul? , knowing full well that the test is just for entertainment. The results were to say the least, bemusing. According to that quiz, I have lived 1,532  past lives. Even for an old soul that's a lot of trips around our sun. My gaming friends like to tease each other in a friendly way now and then. Because I'm the most senior member and much older than man...

Closing a chapter.

My last post was so full of darkness, I hate to follow on with another sad article. Life does not always allow for happy moments interspersing the less happy. For countless years ( honestly, I can't count this time in the morning ) I have been engaged in a hobby project writing a fairly massive software library of routines for use in adventure and combat simulations I call Zulu. When I started the project way back whenever I did weeks of research trying to determine the " best " game engine to use. Factors like ease of use, rendering quality, support, and cost all were gathered, then ground in the number-cruncher to determine a winner. In the end, Unity3d was the clear winner. In the last two weeks Unity announced a series of changes to its Terms and Conditions including how it charges for applications built using Unity that put a huge burden on developers, especially the smaller groups.   Th...

Barbarians at the gates.

One of those telling moments in history was August 25, 410 AD . That morning the citizens of Rome looked out at the Visigoth forces of Alaric as defenses failed and thousands of Visigoths poured though the breach. Thus began the sack of Rome.  For three days the Visigoths plundered the former capital of the Roman Empire. Rome would never be the same again. It was the  End of Western Civilization . Old symbols come crashing down.                                                                                                                        The Visigoths had already taken 2-1/2 tons of gold, 15 tons of silver, thousands of fabric, and 2-1/2 tons of pepper during a siege two yea...